Patti Oviatt brings a broad range of trial and appellate experience to the firm representing both businesses and individuals. Her practice includes matters involving general civil litigation, commercial and residential construction, real estate, probate and insurance defense. Patti is a passionate and effective advocate for her clients. During law school, Patti was a staff writer for the St. Mary’s Law Journal, President of the Women’s Law Association, recipient of the Dean’s Leadership Award for 2002 and 2003 and was named the school’s Outstanding Woman Law Graduate by the National Association of Women Lawyers for 2003.
Recognitions & Distinctions
- Named a 2013 and 2014 Texas Rising Star in Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters. Each year, no more than 2.5 percent of lawyers in the state are selected to receive this honor.
- 2019, San Antonio Magazine’s Top Construction Attorneys
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow, 2020
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Monthly, 2013 and 2014
- San Antonio Magazine’s Top Construction Attorney, 2019
- Scene in San Antonio Magazine’s Best S.A. Lawyers,
- 2020, Business and Construction Litigation
- LEAD Academy graduate, 2017
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Construction Law Section Board Member, 2018-2020
- Bexar County Women’s Bar Association
- Board Member, 2019
- Board Secretary, 2020
- Kendall Country Bar Association
- President, 2009
- Associated General Contractors of America
- Associated Builders & Contractors
- Andy Mireles Charitable Foundation
- Director, 2010 to present
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D. – 2003
- University of Texas at San Antonio, Magna Cum Laude – 1999
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court – Western and Southern Districts of Texas
Practice Areas and Casework
- Has twice successfully defended clients in partnership disputes and received jury verdicts on the clients’ counter-claims.
- Part of trial team that obtained a jury verdict in favor of an architect and custom home builder in a breach of contract suit and their counter-claim for trade secret misappropriation – upheld on appeal.
- Successfully defended landlord in a breach of contract / right of first refusal suit brought by tenant – upheld on appeal.
- Won bill of review in construction defect case for builder overturning a significant default judgment.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a trucking company in a wrongful death suit.
- Successfully represented a Plaintiff in a declaratory judgment action to determine title to property – upheld on appeal.