Patti Oviatt’s practice includes representing both businesses and individuals in matters involving general civil litigation, commercial and residential construction litigation, real estate litigation, as well as insurance defense. Patti’s broad range of litigation expertise, compassion, and trial experience makes her an effective advocate for her clients. During law school, Patti was a staff writer for the St. Mary’s Law Journal, President of the Women’s Law Association, recipient of the Dean’s Leadership Award for 2002 and 2003 and was named the school’s Outstanding Woman Law Graduate by the National Association of Women Lawyers for 2003.
Recognitions & Distinctions
- Named a 2013 and 2014 Texas Rising Star in Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters. Each year, no more than 2.5 percent of lawyers in the state are selected to receive this honor.
- 2019, San Antonio Magazine’s Top Construction Attorneys
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Construction Law Section Board Member, 2018-2020
- Bexar County Women’s Bar Association
- Board Member, 2019
- Board Secretary, 2020
- Kendall Country Bar Association
- President, 2009
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D. – 2003
- University of Texas at San Antonio, Magna Cum Laude – 1999
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court – Western and Southern Districts of Texas
Practice Areas and Casework
- Has twice successfully defended clients in partnership disputes and received jury verdicts on the clients’ counter-claims.
- Part of trial team that obtained a jury verdict in favor of an architect and custom home builder in a breach of contract suit and their counter-claim for trade secret misappropriation – upheld on appeal.
- Successfully defended landlord in a breach of contract / right of first refusal suit brought by tenant – upheld on appeal.
- Won bill of review in construction defect case for builder overturning a significant default judgment.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a trucking company in a wrongful death suit.
- Successfully represented a Plaintiff in a declaratory judgment action to determine title to property – upheld on appeal.