Michael has extensive experience representing property owners, general contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers, material suppliers and design professionals (architects, civil engineers, structural engineers and MEP engineers) in complex construction and commercial litigation matters. Michael regularly represents general contractors and subcontractors against claims of improper workmanship and defective construction in connection with the development and construction of office buildings, shopping centers, resorts/hotels, apartment complexes, condominium properties, hospitals/medical centers, schools, restaurants and other commercial properties.
Michael also has extensive experience representing individuals and businesses in personal injury, premises liability, products liability, wrongful death and other catastrophic loss cases (automobile accidents, trucking accidents, heavy machinery and equipment accidents, workplace accidents and various other incidents resulting in serious personal injury and death). Michael also has substantial experience handling first-party and third-party claims and lawsuits for insurance companies and their insureds in both property and casualty matters (personal injury claims, storm damage claims, fire losses, personal property claims, uninsured and underinsured motorist claims and various other losses claimed by commercial and residential policyholders).
- St. Mary’s University School of Law – J.D., 2005
- University of Innsbruck – Summer 2003
- Texas State University – B.A., 2002
Recognitions & Distinctions
- San Antonio Magazine Top Attorneys – Civil Law Litigation
- Scene in S.A. Best Lawyers – Construction Litigation, Business Litigation and Civil Litigation Defense
- Represented glass panel balcony installer in complex construction defect lawsuit involving major high-rise hotel property in downtown Austin (owner claimed damages in excess of $10 million resulting from glass panel balcony failure).
- Represented paving contractor in construction defect lawsuit concerning the installation of concrete parking lots and bays at luxury RV and golf resort (owner claimed damages in excess of $8 million for concrete failure).
- Represented steel fabricator and erector in construction defect and delay case involving the construction of two large apartment complexes in Austin (owner claimed damages in excess of $5 million resulting from construction delays).
- Represented HVAC installer in construction defect lawsuit involving major convention center hotel and resort property in downtown Austin (owner claimed damages in excess of $5 million resulting from claimed construction defects).
- Represented commercial tenant in landlord-tenant dispute concerning the lease of a bariatric medical facility in San Antonio (landlord claimed damages in excess of $5 million resulting from tenant’s breach of 15-year commercial lease).
- Represented apartment complex owner in insurance coverage lawsuit with commercial insurer concerning extent of covered storm damage at apartment complex property (which consisted of more than 50 buildings and 300+ units). Successfully negotiated multi-million dollar settlement in favor of client.
- Represented commercial contractor and lumber company in insurance coverage dispute with commercial insurer concerning extent of covered storm damage at corporate headquarters and lumberyard (30 buildings and structures over 15 acres of land). Negotiated substantial settlement in favor of client.
- Represented insurance companies in countless first-party insurance claims and lawsuits filed by commercial and residential policyholders concerning the handling and payment of property damage and casualty claims in Texas.
- Represented restaurant and bars in various high-profile and widely publicized Dram Shop lawsuits involving claims of serious personal injury and death.
- Represented property owners and construction companies in numerous workplace injury lawsuits involving claims of serious injury and death.
Memberships & Affiliations
- San Antonio Bar Association
- SABA Construction Law Section
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- Associated General Contractors
- Greater San Antonio Builders Association
- Institute for Leadership in Capital Projects
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court: Southern & Western Districts of Texas