Cory Curtis focuses his litigation practice on complex business disputes and injury cases. In handling all aspects of commercial cases, Cory helps his clients achieve both their legal and business objectives.
Cory’s experience extends to a variety of litigation matters, including contract and partnership disputes, collection matters, business torts, construction, distribution and franchise, and trade secret disputes. Cory devotes a substantial amount of his practice to defending equipment manufacturers in product liability cases in state and federal courts throughout the country. He also represents energy companies in catastrophic injury and wrongful death claims.
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law – J.D., 2003
- Hope College – B.A., 1999
- Prevailed in seven-day administrative law trial before Texas State Office of Administrative Hearings for Class 8 truck manufacturer by showing manufacturer’s good cause to reduce dealer’s area of responsibility because of dealer’s poor sales and service performance and successfully defended case on appeal.
- Secured jury verdict and awarded attorney’s fees and costs for drilling company client in case involving breach of the International Association of Drilling Contractor’s form contract in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado. Prosecuted the drilling company’s breach of contract case and defended against operator’s counterclaims for breach of contract.
- Prevailed in appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in a dealership termination dispute between an equipment manufacturer and an equipment dealer. The Sixth Circuit ruled in favor of the client that the dealer was not permitted to shield the federal case record from public access on concerns that publicity would harm the dealership. Rudd Equip. Co., Inc. v. John Deere Constr. & Forestry Co., 834 F.3d 589 (6th Cir. 2016).
- Secured jury verdict for publicly traded engineering and manufacturing company in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado by arguing that the client’s carbon steel boat steering cable design was not defective, and the jury should decide that issue using the risk-benefit test, not the consumer expectation test. Defended verdict on appeal. Kokins, et al. v. Teleflex Inc., 621 F.3d 1290 (10th Cir. 2010).
- Awarded summary judgment for component part supplier in a California federal court strict product liability and fraud case involving a failed microtunnel boring machine. Nada Pacific Corp. v. Power Engineering & Mfg., Ltd., 73 F. Supp. 3d 1206 (N.D. Cal. 2014).
- Awarded summary judgment in favor of an engineering client in case involving alleged storage silo failures by arguing the parties’ contracts defeated claims for third-party beneficiary status and implied warranty in a Pennsylvania federal court. Lone Star Industries, Inc. v. Besser Company, Civ. Action No. 11-1481, 2013 WL (April 17, 2013, E.D. Pa.).
- After nearly a decade of litigation in New York state court, secured agreement to transfer venue to arbitration and later won defense award for manufacturer facing claims by former partner over a failed joint venture to sell equipment to factories in Greece.
- Awarded summary judgment for publicly traded engineering and manufacturing firm in catastrophic injury and quadriplegia products liability case in Maricopa County, Arizona, by defeating plaintiffs’ causation theory where plaintiffs sought more than $30 million in damages.
- Awarded summary judgment for equipment seller in a warranty case in New York County, New York, by arguing the buyers’ claims were barred by the statute of limitations. The buyers were required to pay for the goods and the installation services the client provided in China.
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- Collignon and Curtis Speak on “Interviewing for Diversity Scholarships” at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law (11/1/2013)
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Colorado
- United States District Court: District of Nebraska
- United States District Court: Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court: District of Colorado
- United States District Court: Northern, Eastern & Southern District of Texas
- United States Courts of Appeals, Sixth & Tenth Circuit
- Board Member, Alumni Council, University of Denver Sturm College of Law (2016-present)
- Chairman, Businesses of Thornton Advisory Commission (2012-2014)