An aggressive and tactical litigator, Chance Decker focuses on resolving high-stakes disputes for businesses in the energy, pipe and steel distribution, construction and real estate industries. Chance also represents clients in a variety of employment litigation matters, including non-competition and trade secret disputes. He enjoys working on cases with challenging issues and helping his clients navigate the legal system in a bold and efficient manner.
Recognitions & Distinctions
- Named a Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines (2018 – 2020)
- Named a Houstonia Magazine Top Lawyer in Houston (2018 – 2020)
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- Litigation Section
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- University of Houston Law Center – J.D., 2009
- Texas A&M University – B.S., Geography: GIS Specialization, 2006
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court: Southern & Western Districts of Texas
- Obtained dismissal of interstate pipeline company from lawsuit seeking twelve million dollars in engineering fees under an alter-ego and common law partnership claim.
- Obtained favorable settlement in dispute over allegedly fraudulent purchase orders issued for over twelve million dollars of steel tubing.
- Successfully defended a Houston energy brokerage firm at trial alleging discrimination under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act by a former employee.
- Successfully defended a commercial flatbed trailer manufacturer in a multi-million-dollar lawsuit by its Chinese supplier.
- Successfully defended two Houston area automobile dealerships in multi-million dollar lawsuits by their former floorplan finance providers.
- Played pivotal role in obtaining a jury verdict on behalf of Jani-King International, Inc. in a suit against a New York franchisee.
- Obtained summary judgment and case dismissal for home builder accused of race discrimination, violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, and breach of construction contract.
- Successfully defended a commercial tenant in a multi-property eviction and tortious interference case.
- Obtained a complete judgment on behalf of a major oilfield services manufacturing company for the nonpayment of several hundred thousand dollars of unpaid equipment.
- Obtained a favorable judgment against former employees of a Houston energy brokerage firm who breached the non-competition and non-disclosure provisions of their employment agreements.
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- “Executive Rights: Texas Outfitters v. Nicholson”, TexasBarCLE Oil, Gas & Mineral Title Examination Course (June 19, 2020)
- “Top 10 Texas Oil & Gas Cases of 2019”, East Texas Association of Petroleum Landmen (January 16, 2020)
- “Concerning Self-Interest: The Executive Duty After Texas Outfitters v. Nicholson”, Energy Law Institute (August 28, 2019)
- “Top 10 Cases of 2018”, Fort Worth Association of Professional Landmen (February 28, 2019)
- “Top 10 Cases of 2018”, East Texas Association of Petroleum Landmen (January 17, 2019)
- “Top 10 Cases Texas Energy Cases from the Past Twelve Months”, Dallas Bar Association’s Energy Law: Review of Oil & Gas Law XXXIII (August 2, 2018)
- “Top 10 Texas O&G Cases of 2017 (So Far)”, Lunch and Learn Series with Next Generation Landmen (DAPL) & Young Professionals in Energy (December 4, 2017)
- “Top 10 Texas O&G Cases of 2017 (So Far)”, AAPL Southwest Land Institute (September 25, 2017)
- “The Slow Death of the Handshake: Best Practices from a Litigator’s Perspective”, National Association of Steel Pipe Distributors 2017 Summer Conference (June 15, 2017)
- “OSHA’s New Guidance for the Energy Arena”, ALTAPL Register (September 1, 2020)
- “OSHA’s New Guidance for the Energy Arena”, Houston Association of Professional Landmen Newsletter (August 2020)
- “OSHA’s New Guidance for the Energy Arena”, Gray Reed Legal Alert (July 22, 2020)
- “Top 10 Texas Oil and Gas Cases of 2019”, Landman Magazine (March/April 2020)
- “Top 10 Texas Oil & Gas Cases of 2019”, Various publications (2020)
- “Top Ten Texas Oil and Gas Cases of 2018”, Texas Association of Defense Counsel Magazine (Summer 2019)
- “Top Texas Oil and Gas Cases of 2018”, Landman Magazine (January/February 2019)
- “Top 10 Texas Oil and Gas Cases of 2018”, Various Publications (2018/2019)
- “Texas Court Divides On Offset Well Case”, The American Oil & Gas Reporter (August 2018)
- “Must an Offset Well Clause be Reasonably Calculated to Prevent Drainage? Not in the Eagle Ford, According to the Texas Supreme Court”, Gray Reed Legal Alert (June 28, 2018)
- “Show Me the Money!”: Who is a “Payor” Under the Texas Natural Resources Code?”, Gray Reed Legal Alert (May 25, 2018)
- “Top 10 Texas O&G Cases in the First 11 Months of 2017”, Landman Magazine (January/February 2018)
- “Top 10 Texas Oil and Gas Cases of 2017”, Various Publications (2017/2018)
- “Texas Supreme Court Ruling Requires Careful Analysis of Mineral Deeds”, Gray Reed Legal Alert (August 9, 2017)
- Calf Scramble Committee Member, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
- Texas Trophy Hunters Association
- 12th Man Foundation
- Houston A&M Club
- Luke’s United Methodist Church
- Hermann Park Conservancy