Taylor Cooksey is a Principal in the Houston office of Cokinos | Young, where he leads the firm’s Real Estate Transactions practice group and is also a member of its Corporate practice group.
Taylor has over 43 years of experience as a real estate and corporate transactions attorney. Listed below under Representative Experience are some of the general categories and examples of Taylor’s experience. Specific transactions within those categories vary in the amount of money involved. Although typical transactions may range from $5M to $100M, some may be less, and others in the past have involved more than $1B, including up to $16B.
Prior to its attorneys joining Cokinos | Young, Taylor was the managing member of Singleton Cooksey, a notable boutique firm with as many as 12 attorneys practicing in Houston for more than 40 years in the areas of real estate and corporate transactions, and commercial litigation.
Taylor has a history of active involvement in the community, including in youth sports and urban redevelopment projects. He and his wife, Nancy enjoy spending time at their second home in the North Carolina mountains.
- South Texas College of Law – J.D., 1978
- University of Texas at Austin – B.A., 1973
(also attended Washington & Lee University)
Recognitions & Distinctions
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review rating; the highest rating possible
- Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Development of multi-family projects (multiple cities and states), single-family residential projects (including master-planned communities and coastal and lake developments), office buildings, retail, condominiums, museums, banks, schools and youth sports facilities
- Miscellaneous work related to the foregoing and other transactions, including financing, ground leasing, formation of entities, tax-free exchanges, legal opinions
- Urban redevelopment (including public/private partnership, tax abatement, street abandonments)
- Purchase and sale of raw land, income-producing commercial properties, and residential properties
- Landlord/Tenant leasing
- Multi-state acquisitions of portfolios of thousands of cell towers, and extensions of site rights through ground lease extensions and fee and easement acquisitions
Memberships and Affiliations
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Stella Link Redevelopment Association, Past President
- Past Director of Two National Banks
- State Bar of Texas (1978)
- West University Little League, Past President
- West University Softball Association, Past Director