Shelly Masters is a trial attorney representing clients in multiple areas of litigation, with a particular focus on construction, commercial and product liability matters. After practicing over twenty years, she has extensive experience prosecuting and defending complex multiparty cases before state and federal courts in multiple states involving a wide range of legal issues. Shelly is acutely aware of the issues facing those involved in the construction industry and actively uses that knowledge to find proactive, unique and efficient solutions to solve client problems. She is a prepared and aggressive litigator when the time comes. She has litigated and successfully resolved
Shelly is a frequent author and speaker for professional, legal and trade associations. She keeps abreast of national and state litigation trends and legislation to better serve her clients. She consults and trains clients on a variety of topics designed to minimize risks so that her clients have the tools to protect against future disputes and litigation.
Recognitions & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers in America (2019)
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC) (Inducted 2019)
- Life Fellow – Texas Bar Foundation (2019)
- Outstanding Service Award for 10 Years on Board of Directors of ABC (2018)
- Terry Scholar – University of Texas at Austin
Memberships & Affiliations
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel – Vice Chair of Meeting Sites Committee, Construction Section and Admissions Committee 2019-2020
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Past Chair and Board of Directors 2008-2018
- Central Texas Subcontractors Association, Chapter Attorney (Current)
- Associated General Contractors of America
- Defense Research Institute, Construction, past co-editor of Critical Path
- Construction Financial Management Association
- National Association of Women in Construction
- International Electrical Contractors Association
- Austin Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas, Construction and Litigation Law Sections
- University of Texas, B.A., 1995
- University of Houston Law School, J.D., 1998
- University of Texas School of Law (1997)
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Illinois
- United States District Court: Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Successful negotiation of favorable terms in a proposed $43.5 national class action settlement on behalf of several large subcontractors in multiple states involving failing plumbing pipe installed in thousands of residential homes
- Lead litigation counsel for a property owner against its design team and the a dozen contractor group for faulty workmanship and alleged damages in excess of $5 million resulting in a favorable pre-trial settlement
- Lead litigation counsel for a large national general contractor in defense of a complex construction defect lawsuit alleging $250 million in property damage involving the renovation and expansion of a continuing care retirement facility which, following extensive discovery, depositions, appeals and dispositive motions, the case was successfully resolved as to all claims
- Prosecutes large, complex multiparty litigation against national production manufacturer, component part manufacturers, product suppliers in multiple companion construction products liability lawsuits in multiple states with alleged damages in excess of $20 million
- Defense counsel for national general contractor in a mixed nonpayment and construction defect matter with an alleged $12 million property damage
- Successful prosecution and settlement of a design defect case against a project architect on behalf of a property owner involving a $1.5 million construction project
- Successful prosecution of $2.2 million nonpayment and breach of contract matter involving construction of a retirement community on behalf of a general contractor
- Defense Counsel in claims involving pre-mature corrosion and failure of a complex of energy pipelines and over $40 million in claims. Following extensive discovery and dispositive motions, the case settled favorably for the defense.
- Selected as national and state trial counsel for a major product manufacture for multiple years involved in widespread products liability / toxic tort litigation involving thousands of plaintiffs and
- Serving as national trial and coordinating counsel on behalf of multiple international product manufacturers in multiple states including Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware, Montana and more
- Successfully argued summary judgment motions dismissing hundreds of claims on behalf of defendants involved in construction defect and products liability cases in state court
Articles & Speeches
- “Dealing with Delays, Disruptions and Lost Dollars” for the 2019 Annual CTSA Construction Law Conference.
- “Avoiding Legal / HR Pitfalls – Why a Leadership Culture is Important” for the 2019 ABC Leadership Conference.
- “Contractors Embrace Legal Tools to Limit Poaching of Key Employees” for NSA Today, Issue 11 (2019).
- “Emerging Trends on Limiting Liability with or without the Spearin’ Doctrine” for the 2019 FDCC Winter Conference.
- “The Subcontractor’s Legal Toolbox” presentation for CTSA (Dec. 2018).
- “Change Orders: When Change Isn’t a Good Thing” for NSA Today, Issue 10 (Oct. 2018).
- “Design Defects Threaten Texas Contractors” for Construction News, Volume 15, Number 11 (Nov. 2018).
- “Perfecting and Enforcing Lien Claims”, “Litigating Construction Claims”, “Pay Me – No ‘Ifs Ands or Buts about It’”, and “Construction Mistakes to Laugh & Cry About It” for the 2018 Annual CTSA Construction Law Conference.
- “Ban the Box” for Associated Builders & Contractors Lunch & Learn program (March 2017).
- “How Does ‘Ban the Box’ Affect You” for Construction News, Volume 15, Number 10 (Oct. 2016)
- “Employers use Non-competition & Non-solicitation Agreements to Limit Poaching of Key Employees” forConstruction News (Apr. 2015).
- “Getting Ahead: Strategies for Achieving and Sustaining Growth” moderator and speaker for the ABC Program Series (March 28, 2015).
- “Expedited Actions” for the 27th Annual Construction Law Conference (Feb. 27 & 28, 2014).
- “Wrongful termination: Can terminating an employee before the filing of a Worker’s Compensation claim be unlawful?” for Construction News, Volume 12, Number 10 (0ct. 2012).
- “Retainage; the Texas Two-Step” for Construction News, Volume 11, Number 2 (Feb. 2011).
- “Default Termination Clauses: A Lethal but Potentially Pricey Weapon” for Construction News, Volume 10, Number 4 (Apr. 2010).
- “Sustainable Building: Going Green Wisely” for Construction News, Volume 9, Number 6 (Jun. 2009).