Gregory Cokinos is a founder of Cokinos | Young and he has earned a reputation as one of the preeminent lawyers in his field. Gregory’s practice includes all aspects of commercial and industrial construction, including office buildings, high rise condominiums, schools, power plants, processing plants, refineries, pipelines, highway construction, as well as offshore production and drilling platforms. Gregory has extensive experience in real estate transactions and development, having represented owners, developers, landlords and tenants in all areas of commercial real estate acquisition, financing, development, leasing and sale. His project involvement includes central business district office buildings, health care facilities, shopping centers, housing developments and apartments.
Although his practice is concentrated in the area of construction and real estate development issues, Gregory has handled a wide range of litigation matters as well as contract negotiations, including significant cases in securities fraud, patent infringement, employment, banking, franchise agreements and oil and gas. Gregory has also handled serious personal injury cases, including brain damage, permanent paralysis and death.
Gregory devotes considerable time to the advancement of the industry. After serving as editor of the State Bar Construction Law Section Newsletter, he was instrumental in creating and organizing the Construction Law Journal, a joint publication by the Construction Law Section of the State Bar of Texas and The South Texas College of Law. He became the first editor of the journal, a position he still holds. Gregory is a member of the American College of Construction Lawyers and was the first lawyer from Houston inducted into this prestigious organization. Gregory is also an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association, on both the commercial and construction panels, and for the International Center for Dispute Resolution.
Recognitions & Distinctions
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters every year since 2005. Each year, no more than 5 percent of lawyers in the state are selected to receive this honor.
- Named by Thomson Reuters as one of The Top 100 Super Lawyers in the State of Texas every year since 2007.
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell peer review ratings, the highest rating possible.
- First Houston attorney selected and inducted into the prestigious American College of Construction Lawyers, an invitation only association of the top 1% of construction lawyers in North America.
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America since 2005 in Construction Law, Commercial Litigation and Construction Litigation.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Arbitration Association: Panelist on Construction and Commercial Panels
- American Bar Association: Litigation, Construction Law, Business Law ,Real Estate, Oil and Gas
- American College of Construction Lawyers
- American Association for Justice
- Association of General Contractors of America
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Litigation Council of America Fellow
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Life Member
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Life Member
- State Bar of Texas: Litigation, Business Law, Real Estate, Entertainment and Sports Law
- Construction Law Section Newsletter: Editor, 1997-2003
- Construction Law Journal: Editor, 2003-Present
- Texas Aggie Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Associated Builders and Contractors of Houston
- Houston Bar Association: Litigation, Construction Law, Business Law, Real Estate, Oil and Gas
- Houston Young Lawyers Association: Former Council Member
- Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral
- District 4D Grievance Committee, Panel Chair
- Construction Law Exam Inaugural Commission charged with drafting the board certification exam for construction law, and grading the exam for the Texas Bar of Legal Specialization
- Texas A&M Mays Business School Alumni of the Year, 2017
- South Texas College of Law – J.D., 1982
- Texas A&M University – B.B.A., 1979
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court: Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts
- United States Supreme Court