Kathleen Barrett Madere is an attorney in the Houston office of Cokinos | Young. Her practice is primarily focused on resolving complex construction and commercial disputes through litigation and arbitration. Kathleen has handled construction disputes involving multi-million dollar residences, pipelines and compressor stations, retail and warehousing facilities, bridges, and other commercial and industrial projects. Kathleen also has experience with employment matters. Kathleen was a significant contributor to the 2020 and 2021 Case Law Update, presented at the annual construction law conference in San Antonio, Texas. Kathleen also co-authored a paper for the HBA Construction Law Section entitled, Fraud, Construction, and the Texas Property Code.
- University of Texas School of Law – J.D., 2020
- Texas State University – B.A. English, 2017
Recognitions and Distinctions
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch 2024- Commercial Litigation, Construction Law, and Litigation – Construction
- Named Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers 2023
- Second-chair trial experience successfully defending against allegations of mechanical failures and breach of contract in a jury trial.
- Successfully achieved summary judgment in a high-value pipeline dispute involving mineral lien rights.
- Obtained favorable arbitration outcome for a subcontractor/supplier in a multi-million dollar construction dispute involving claims of breach of contract, non-payment, and delay.
- Obtained favorable outcome in large-scale dispute involving flooding and alleged negligence of developers engaged in business along Texas waterways.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a large company in a trade secret dispute in federal court.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Texas Bar Association: Construction Law Section
- Texas Bar Association: Women and the Law Section
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Oregon
- United States District Court: Eastern & Southern Districts of Texas