No stranger to a construction site, John Grayson worked his way through college as a laborer, equipment operator and pouring concrete in the Houston area.
Immediately upon graduation from Baylor University School of Law, Grayson went to work defending major aircraft manufacturers and industrial equipment suppliers in several high stakes cases involving multiple deaths and serious injuries. For 39 years, John has concentrated on major, complex litigation. The breadth and sophistication of Grayson’s experience are unequaled as evidenced by his recognition by Best Lawyers in America in three categories: Construction Law, Construction Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation – Defendents. Grayson’s work on everything from major pipeline, commercial and residential construction matters to mass tort and securities class and mass actions has taken him from coast to coast and to many foreign countries. His clients include owners, developers, general contractors, energy contractors, ammunition manufacturers, utilities and fiber optic companies in trials and arbitrations. He also represents design professionals, individuals, physicians, physician groups and attorneys. Clients describe John’s style as aggressive, intellectual and practical. In addition to his training as a Mediator, Grayson is a Panelist with the American Arbitration Association (AAA) for Construction Disputes.
A frequent contributor to the Construction Law Journal, John’s work has also been published in the Texas Bar Journal. He has presented at the Center for International Legal Studies in Salzburg, Austria is a regular presenter on EPC Contract and Risk Management and energy-related trade groups.
John has been AV rated for over 30 years, is a member of TX Oil and Gas Association, the FDCC, and maintains membership in the Construction, Litigation, Insurance and Aviation sections of the State Bar of Texas.
- Baylor University School of Law – J.D., 1983
- Texas A&M University – B.A. History, cum laude, 1980
- National Mediation Academy, Dallas, Texas, 2003
Recognitions & Distinctions
- American Mensa
- Best Lawyer in America 2021 – 2024: Construction Law, Litigation – Construction & Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- AV rated for over 30 years by Martindale Hubbell for legal ability and ethics.
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters from 2011-2023. Each year, no more than 5 percent of lawyers in the state are selected to receive this honor.
- In a matter arising from the death of a worker in an oil patch accident, Grayson and his team obtained complete summary judgment for the client who is a global leader in manufacturing pipe and equipment for the oil patch. The plaintiff’s final demand at the court-ordered mediation was $150 million.
- Obtained favorable defense award after three-week arbitration hearing on behalf of ENR Top 10 general contractor client against claims of over $37,000,000 brought by subcontractor and four pass-through sub-subcontractors. Case involved one of the largest commercial projects ever built in the City of Houston, and the largest healthcare tower project built to date in the Texas Medical Center, with construction costs that exceeded $500,000,000. After 28 witnesses and nearly 4,000 trial exhibits and demonstratives, claimants recovered nothing on loss of productivity and delay claims associated with alleged mismanagement, abuse, and intentional interference, and were denied request for over $6,800,000 in attorney’s fees and costs.
- Defense Counsel in Claims involving pre-mature corrosion and failure of a complex of energy pipelines and over $40 million in claims. Following extensive discovery and dispositive motions, the case settled favorably for the defense.
- Defense counsel for horizontal drilling (HDD) contractor related to construction of natural gas pipeline. Matter was favorable resolved.
- Successfully defended a global architecture firm against $16 million delay and consequential damages in arbitration.
- Successfully defended fiberoptic communications company in 2 million+ contract case in Utah Federal District Court.
- Handled contracting issues in construction of $1.4 Billion steel pipe manufacturing facility.
- Represents energy pipeline contractors in multiple states.
- Represented a major general contractor in litigation stemming from a multi-story office building project.
- Represented a consortium of 44 banks seeking recovery of financing provided for construction of a beachfront high-rise condominium that developed serious structural problems which required its demolition.
- Represented the general contractor in disputes with international suppliers and complex scheduling issues in connection with the expansion of a major city convention center.
- Represented a national electrical subcontractor in an airport expansion project concerning contract and payment litigation involving prevailing wage rates disputes.
- AAA Arbitration for a major tank construction contractor involving construction of a LNG storage facility in Louisiana.
- Represented a major homebuilder in multi-party litigation arising from the alleged pre-existing ground contamination of a residential development.
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- CLE Presenter: “Liquidated Damages Provisions”, The Construction Law Foundation of Texas, Houston, December 5, 2019
- Center for International Legal Studies (Invited Speaker – Salzburg, Austria November 2004)
- Grayson, J. (n.d.). Derivitive soverign immunity: An idea whose time has come for Texas? Construction Law Journal, 11(2).
- Grayson, J. (n.d). Creative uses of declaratory judgement in the construction litigation context. Construction Law Journal, 17(1).
- Forum Non-Conveniens – The Other Side of the Story, Texas Bar Journal, September 1992
Memberships & Affiliations
- Society of Construction Law
- Texas Oil and Gas Association
- NACE International
- American Arbitration Association (AAA): National Roster of Arbitrators, Large Complex Construction Disputes
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
- State Bar of Texas: Construction, Litigation, Insurance, Aviation
- Federal Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas (1983)
- United States District Courts: Northern, Eastern, Southern & Western Districts of Texas
- Texas Aggie Bar Association (Board Member 2004-2007)
- Baylor Law Alumni – Lifetime Member
- Boy Scouts of America – Assistant Scout Master; father of Eagle Scout
- Charles L Sommers Alumni Association, Life Member