No stranger to a construction site, John Grayson worked his way through college as a laborer, equipment operator and pouring concrete in the Houston area. While a student, he pumped gas and fixed flats at a service station and worked in the History Dept at Texas A&M University.
Grayson is a Principal in Cokinos | Young and represents major contractors, EPC contractors, developers, subcontractors, pipeline contractors and owners, mechanical contractors and owners in complex construction matters large and small across the land. John’s experience includes jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations of all types of construction and real estate related disputes involving projects ranging from energy pipelines, office buildings and hospitals to massive processing plants and LNG storage facilities. The breadth and variety of John’s experience is unequalled. John has represented large and small businesses, design professionals, individuals, physicians and attorneys as well as regional and national banks both as plaintiff and defendant in state and federal courts. John’s experience also includes complex contract matters, personal injury death cases as plaintiff and defendant, major private and commercial aviation related litigation, real estate, insurance and business disputes and securities class and mass actions. Sound judgement coupled with an intellectual but practical approach based on real-world experience, describes John’s work.
A frequent contributor to the Construction Law Journal, John’s work has also been published in the Texas Bar Journal. He has presented at the Center for International Legal Studies in Salzburg, Austria, is a regular presenter on EPC Contract and Risk Management topics and is a panelist – American Arbitration Association for Construction Disputes.
John is AV rated for over 30 years, is a member of TX Oil and Gas Association, the FDCC, and maintains membership in the Construction, Litigation, Insurance and Aviation sections of the State Bar of Texas.
Recognitions & Distinctions
- Named a Best Lawyer in America in 2021 for Construction Law, Construction Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- AV rated for over 30 years by Martindale Hubbell for legal ability and ethics.
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters from 2011-2018. Each year, no more than 5 percent of lawyers in the state are selected to receive this honor.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Arbitration Association (AAA): National Roster of Arbitrators, Large Complex Construction Disputes
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
- State Bar of Texas: Construction, Litigation, Insurance, Aviation
- American Mensa
- NACE International
- Texas Oil and Gas Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Center for International Legal Studies (Invited Speaker – Salzburg, Austria November 2004)
- Texas Aggie Bar Association (Board Member 2004-2007)
- Baylor Law Alumni – Lifetime Member
- Boy Scouts of America – Assistant Scout Master; father of Eagle Scout
- Baylor University School of Law – J.D., 1983
- Texas A&M University – B.A. History, cum laude, 1980
- National Mediation Academy, Dallas, Texas, 2003
- State Bar of Texas (1983)
- United States District Courts: Eastern, Southern, Northern, Western
Practice Areas and Casework
- Defense Counsel in Claims involving pre-mature corrosion and failure of a complex of energy pipelines and over $40 million in claims. Following extensive discovery and dispositive motions, the case settled favorably for the defense.
- Defense counsel for horizontal drilling (HDD) contractor related to construction of natural gas pipeline. Matter was favorable resolved.
- Successfully defended a global architecture firm against $16 million delay and consequential damages in arbitration.
- Successfully defended fiberoptic communications company in 2 million+ contract case in Utah Federal District Court.
- Handled contracting issues in construction of $1.4 Billion steel pipe manufacturing facility.
- Represents energy pipeline contractors in multiple states.
- Represented a major general contractor in litigation stemming from a multi-story office building project.
- Represented a consortium of 44 banks seeking recovery of financing provided for construction of a beachfront high-rise condominium that developed serious structural problems which required its demolition.
- Represented the general contractor in disputes with international suppliers and complex scheduling issues in connection with the expansion of a major city convention center.
- Represented a national electrical subcontractor in an airport expansion project concerning contract and payment litigation involving prevailing wage rates disputes.
- AAA Arbitration for a major tank construction contractor involving construction of a LNG storage facility in Louisiana.
- Represented a major homebuilder in multi-party litigation arising from the alleged pre-existing ground contamination of a residential development.
- CLE Presenter: “Liquidated Damages Provisions”, The Construction Law Foundation of Texas, Houston, December 5, 2019