Mr. Gatlin is Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, after starting his legal career as a Briefing Attorney to Justice William J. Boyce of the Texas Fourteenth Court of Appeals in Houston. Mr. Gatlin has extensive experience briefing cases before state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels, including the United States Supreme Court. In addition, Mr. Gatlin has served as a leader of legal writing and motions practice, while also mentoring young attorneys and law clerks.
Mr. Gatlin has built upon his passions for employment law and mentoring attorneys by creating a new course (with considerable guidance from and thanks to Professors Richard Carlson, David East, and Lisa Dahm) focused on drafting and negotiating employment agreements that is now offered and taught by Mr. Gatlin as an Adjunct Professor at South Texas College of Law in Houston. Mr. Gatlin has also written and presented regularly on a wide variety of employment law topics, including participating in weekly Zoom conferences by local trade organizations to discuss how employers should respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. Mr. Gatlin has considerable experience speaking to clients’ workforces, employer groups, and trade associations nationwide at events and conventions, providing them with practical tips related to employment law issues within their respective industries.
Mr. Gatlin represents clients with labor and employment issues in both government agency actions and in litigation in state and federal courts nationwide. Mr. Gatlin also plays a significant role in clients’ efforts to prevent lawsuits and to comply with state and federal employment laws. Prior to law school, Mr. Gatlin spent seven years in the television news industry, working in the capacities of reporter, anchor, and director over the course of his broadcasting career. Mr. Gatlin is happily married with two young children and lives in Fulshear, Texas.
- Labor & Employment Law
- Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- All Texas Courts
- United States District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 2008
- Duke University, B.A., 1998
- State Bar of Texas, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Adjunct Faculty, South Texas College of Law
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- ABC Houston Talent Practices Committee
- AGC Houston Employment Practices Committee
Articles & Seminars
- Adjunct Professor for LAW 569 – Employment Agreements: Basics, Drafting, & Negotiation; South Texas College of Law, Fall 2020 (Houston, TX).
- “How Law Firms Can Make ‘Telework’ Work,” The Advocate (Vol. 93).
- “COVID-19 Legal Issues in the Construction Industry” (panel presentation); Second Annual AGC Houston Employment Practices & Safety Committees Joint Conference; Dec. 3, 2020 (Houston, TX).
- “Back to School & FFCRA Paid Leave,” webinar (co-hosted with M. Wilson Stoker); Aug. 21, 2020.
- “Rebooting Employment Law Compliance Efforts in a COVID-19 World” (co-authored with M. Wilson Stoker), Construction News (June 2020).
- “Drug Testing in the Age of Marijuana & Opioids,” Inaugural AGC Houston Employment Practices & Safety Committees Joint Conference; Oct. 25, 2019 (Houston, TX).
- “When Should HR Get Legal Involved?”; 2019 Gulf Coast Symposium on HR Issues; May 16, 2019 (Houston, TX).
- “Getting Your I-9 House in Order,” Construction News (Oct. 2018)
- Quoted extensively in Andy Lundin, “How Fleets Should Handle Liability Exposure,” Fleet Financials (Jan.-Feb. 2017).
- “A Fleet Safety Manager’s Guide to Surviving Fleet Safety-Related Lawsuits,” 2016 Fleet Safety Conference; July 19, 2016 (Schaumberg, IL).
- “Wage & Overtime Changes You Need to Know: Taking Care of Business and Working Overtime,” Fulshear Area Chamber of Commerce; July 13, 2016 (Fulshear, TX).
- “Employers’ Law 101: Which Employment Laws Apply to Me?” Cross Creek Ranch Resident Speaker Series; Mar 28, 2015 (Fulshear, TX).
- “Case Update: Glatt v. Fox Searchlight Pictures, Inc. (S.D.N.Y. June 11, 2013),” Houston Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section Luncheon; July 8, 2013 (Houston, TX).
- “Even Judges Make Mistakes: What Recent STAA Whistleblower Cases Can Teach Us,” Employment Law 360 (August 8, 2012).