Roger Townsend is recognized as one of the founders of the practice of civil appellate law in Texas. He has earned a national reputation as a leading appellate lawyer, culminating in his election as president of the by-invitation-only American Academy of Appellate Lawyers.
Roger’s diverse, national practice includes virtually every type of civil appeal, ranging from antitrust to zoning and all subjects in between. He is a noted expert in contracts, fraud, and business torts. His four decades of experience have also included managing complex litigation and presenting complex legal issues to trial courts.
Having begun his practice as a trial lawyer with 30 jury verdicts, Roger not only knows his way around the courtroom, but also brings that tenacity to his appellate work. Many of those trials involved construction litigation and architect/engineer malpractice.
Recognition & Distinctions
- Past President and Fellow, American Academy of Appellate Lawyers
- Past Chair, Appellate Practice Section, State Bar of Texas
- Past Vice Chair, Appellate Advocacy Committee, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association
- Leading Individual, Appellate Law, Chambers Guide
- Best Lawyers in America. Named Houston Appellate Lawyer of the Year in 2012 and 2017.
- Texas Super Lawyers
- Awarded Certificate of Merit, State Bar of Texas in 1993 for “his truly outstanding service to the legal profession of Texas.”
- Board certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specializationsince its inception in 1987.
- Editor-in-Chief, Texas Appellate Practice Manual(State Bar of Texas 1993).
- National Editor, Superseding and Staying Judgments: A National Compendium(ABA TIPS 2007)
- Author, A Defense Lawyer’s Guide to Appellate Practice (DRI 2004)
- Author, Appellate Practice in Federal and State Courts(Law Journal Press 2011)
- Author, Texas Practitioner’s Guide to Civil Appeals (ALM 2014).
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers
- Past president 2013
- Fellow since 1997
- American Bar Association
- Appellate Advocacy Committee, Litigation Section
- Appellate Practice Committee, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Texas State Bar
- Appellate Practice Section (chair 1989-90)
- Houston Bar Association
- Appellate Practice Section
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- Defense Research Institute
- Appellate Practice Committee
- Harvard Law School – J.D. 1979
- University of Texas – B.A. with highest honors 1976
- United States Supreme Court
- Second Circuit
- Fourth Circuit
- Fifth Circuit
- Ninth Circuit
- Eleventh Circuit
- Eastern and Southern Districts of Texas