Robert J. Naudin, Jr. is a partner in the Houston office of Cokinos | Young. Rob is an experienced trial attorney who focuses his practice on construction litigation matters. Rob has experience representing corporations, partnerships, businesses and individuals in a diverse range of complex commercial matters in both federal and state courts across the country. Rob has extensive trial experience as lead counsel and has been successful in achieving positive results for his clients whether through trial, arbitration, or mediation. He has handled hundreds of millions of dollars in claims. Rob’s clients include publicly-traded energy services and construction firms, national general contractors, commercial and retail development companies, as well as individual businessmen and women. In addition to providing litigation services, Rob regularly provides guidance to his clients in an effort to best serve their long-term goals; often resolving claims well before the initiation of suit. Prior to his civil practice, Rob served in the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps. During his Naval service, Rob honed his trial skills while prosecuting and defending felony cases across the globe. He was deployed to the Northern Arabian Gulf in 2003 with the USS TARAWA AMPHIBIOUS GROUP as the admiral’s sole legal counsel, or Staff Judge Advocate. There, he advised wartime admirals and commanders concerning all legal matters, including rules of engagement, law of armed conflict and detainee/prisoner of war issues and policies and received numerous personal decorations.
Recognitions & Distinctions
- Named a 2019 Super Lawyer in Construction Litigation by Thompson Reuters
- Lecturer, Construction Contracts & Claims, Collaborative Global Construction Engineering Advanced Training Program, Texas A&M University with Chungbuk National University (Republic of Korea), College Station, Texas, 2018
- Awarded the American Trial Lawyers Association Outstanding Advocacy Award
Memberships & Affiliations
- Texas Bar Association
- Construction Law Section
- Litigation Section
- Associated General Contractors (AGC)
- Governmental Affairs Committee Member
- Houston Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D. – 1999
- Phi Delta Phi legal honors society
- Texas A&M University, B.S. – 1996
- State Bar of Texas, 2006
- California State Bar, 2000
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Navy-Marine Corps Trial Judiciary
- U.S. District Court: Southern, Eastern, Western and Northern Districts of Texas
- Regularly represents industrial and commercial general contractors with respect to collection of unpaid change orders, delay claims, loss of productivity claims and inevitable defense against counterclaims.
- Represented industrial piping contractor to collect unpaid change order work resulting in favorable settlement during three-week arbitration proceeding.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict after three-week jury trial for industrial mechanical and civil contractor against publically-traded chemical manufacturer against various claims including breach of contract.
- Represented general contractor against publically-traded energy company to collect for unpaid change orders associated with construction of oil pipeline.
- Represented general contractor against owner’s claims of defective performance relating to foundation damage for specialized waste warehouse arising out of differential movement.
- Represented electrical subcontractor to collect unpaid change orders against national general contractor relating to remodeling of five bonded public schools.
- Defended tire distributor against warranty claims brought by international phosphate producer.
- Defended national contractor against breach of contract claims related to construction of natural gas facility.
- Represented managing general insurance agency to enforce covenants not to compete against former employees and competing company, obtaining favorable settlement during jury trial.
- Defended electrical services construction company against prominent homeowner’s claims of property damage in Rio Grande Valley.
- Regularly advises industrial general contractor clients with respect to work-place injuries, fatalities and accident investigations.
- Represented custom homebuilder against owner’s claims of breach of contract, obtaining favorable jury verdict.