Charles Getman has more than 38 years of litigation experience representing medium and large business clients in Texas and New York, with particular expertise in sophisticated commercial litigation in federal and state courts and arbitration, with emphasis in major construction failures/disputes, intellectual property, and professional liability. Charles has worked with national, regional, and local property developers, contractors and vendors, professional and amateur sports leagues, teams and players, and businesses in commercial disputes such as multi-party construction design/defect, federal and state securities claims, industrial disputes, trade secrets and other intellectual property, and professional liability.
Recognitions & Distinctions
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell peer review ratings, the highest rating possible.
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in 2019, 2020 & 2021 for Construction Law
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas: Construction Law Section
- Houston Bar Association: Construction Law Section
- State Bar of New York: Commercial Litigation (former member)
- University of Houston, J.D. – 1981
- State University of New York at Buffalo – B.A., 1978
- State Bar of Texas (1982)
- State Bar of New York (1988)
- All Federal District Courts in Texas, three of four Federal District Courts in New York
- United States Courts of Appeal, 2nd and 5th Circuits
- United States Supreme Court
Practice Areas and Casework
- Currently represents an international industrial pump company prosecuting anti-trust and related claims in federal court against a Fortune 500 industrial pump company.
- Represents a large institutional client’s multi-party state court prosecution of defective design and construction claims for a 33-story tower following Hurricane Ike and a later rain event.
- Represents South African, British, and American corporations from plaintiff’s product liability claims regarding refractory material in large industrial applications.
- Defended and prosecuted counterclaims in federal court for a specialized chemical manufacturing company to enforce trade secrets against its chief competitor.
- Represented a developer in $20 million-plus construction of dormitory buildings for a state university. Settled claims with government owner, defended claims and prosecuted counter claim for construction defect and delay with client’s general contractor. Also prosecuted and settled malpractice claims against the client’s architect.
- Represented a technology purchaser/manufacturer against the original developer of a purchased technology. The developer was threatening to re-sell the technology to the manufacturer’s competitor. Obtained a preliminary injunction prohibiting the sale and thereafter settled the claims.
- Defended a governmental entity in an $11 million breach of construction contract claim. Obtained summary judgment dismissing that claim and succeeded on counterclaim to recover all attorneys’ fees incurred, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Defended a general contractor against claim of alleged defective construction in the breach of an underground high-pressure pipeline. Prosecuted and settled crossclaim against second tier subcontractor.
- Represented a subcontractor to collect its unpaid contract balance, and defend its allegedly defective work in counterclaim. Client’s $1.6 million judgment sustained on appeal.
- Represented an inventor and his company in an attorney malpractice suit for failure to timely file a patent application, resulting in significant settlement. The consumer electronic technology, which was patented by another company, later became an industry standard.
- Defended a prime subcontractor in arbitration against the general contractor’s claim for allegedly defective work on a NASA construction project. Prosecuted counterclaims for delay and other damages.
- Participated in representation of the Buffalo Sabres Hockey Club, and represented high-profile professional football and hockey athletes