Roland F. Gonzales is a San Antonio native with a small business background. Prior to law school, Roland helped run his family’s roofing company of 50 years by estimating projects, negotiating contracts with publicly traded companies, and staging complex retrofit roof projects throughout central Texas.
Since graduating from St. Mary’s University School of Law, Roland has litigated cases across the State including construction defect claims, product defect claims, nonsubscriber work injury claims, commercial and employment disputes, and multi-party cases.
Roland is currently litigating one of the largest explosion cases in Texas history- over 450 plaintiffs, and allegations of several hundred million dollars of damages.
In addition to working with clients across the country, Roland represents an iconic Texas restaurant brand (with over 800 locations) in commercial and regional franchise issues, labor and employment claims, real estate claims, trademark and branding issues, government affairs, public affairs and regional general liability claims. Roland also represents an NBA team in commercial claims and regularly consults with its legal team on a myriad of issues. Roland works closely with the Texas Retailer’s Association and represents one of the largest privately held ambulance companies in America.
Roland has had the privilege of serving on the boards for the San Pedro Playhouse (2008-2009), Clarity Child Guidance Center (2008-2009), The San Antonio Texas Exes (President 2010-2011), The City of San Antonio Parks Bond Committee (2010-2012), the SAPD Chief’s Action Advisory Board (2011-2015), City of San Antonio Small Business Advocacy Committee (2013 to 2020), Hispanic Contractor’s Association (2011-2017), The Maestro Entrepreneur Center (2016-Present), The Mayor’s Housing Policy Task Force (2018), ConnectSA (2018), The San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (2018-2020), San Antonio Restaurant Association Government Affairs Committee (2018-Present), and Bexar County SWMBE Advisory Committee (2019-Present), Brooks Development Authority (2020-Present). He is also a proud member of Leadership San Antonio Class 42.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas, Construction Section
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Board of Directors – Hispanic Contractors Association of San Antonio
- American Bar Association
- Appointed by City Council to serve on The San Antonio Police Department Chief’s Action Advisory Committee and The City of San Antonio’s Economic Development Department Small Business Advocacy Committee
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D. – 2006
- The University of Texas, Austin, B.A. – 2000
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Courts: Western, Southern Districts of Texas
Practice Areas & Casework
- Won arbitration of alleged civil conspiracy and breach of contract claims in defense of a national residential builder. The claimant, a local attorney, alleged the home builder and mortgage company conspired to raise his interest rates and sell the house to a third party at a higher profit.
- Won arbitration of breach of contract claim regarding the purchase of several properties in defense of a national home builder. Obtained award of attorney’s fees for the homebuilder.
- Obtained Summary Judgment for national trucking company and obtained award of attorney’s fees to defend Plaintiff’s motion practice prior to judgment.
- Obtained Summary Judgment for former employee of securities broker resulting in favorable outcome of employee’s counter-claims against the securities broker.
- Represented major self-insured grocery company in successful recovery of damages for dramatic property loss.
- Developed legal education curriculum for Bexar County SMWBE Mentor-Protege Program with Bexar County Program Director.